Sunday, February 24, 2013

You Could Call it a Work of Art

facebook_672838874.jpg
 
 

Art is just a word, and what we actually see in our minds as artists, can't really be described by one word. When I asked my peers Nick (above left) and Johann (above right) if I could use this picture for a story, both of them kind of laughed and asked why I wanted to use a picture of them "cuddling". What inspired me when I saw the picture, was the fact that Johann's shadow looks like another person, like he's sitting back to back with a familiar stranger. That Nick looks like he has absolutely nothing in the world to worry about, but Johann looks troubled (thanks to the sun). I saw two best friends on a nice day, just thinking, and I was inspired. The following story is not what happened that day. It may contain true facts, but I completely made up the events that are occurring:

It's a slightly chilly day, kind of warm actually, for January. School has just been let out and a group of friends is sitting by the brick wall, waiting to start band practice. Johann is a watcher, he likes to see whats happening. He would rather sit on a park bench quietly, than sit at home eating a bag of chips, and watching a football game. He likes to draw, and he's great at it. The margins of his notebooks are filled with doodles and his class assignments are works of... whatever he sees them as. Nick is a thinker, he likes to put things together in his head. He's quiet and comfortable and he enjoys taking pictures. He can manipulate a camera to do things that make his pictures amazing and captivating. His snapshots are honest works of... whatever he believes them to be. They grew up together and know each other better than they know themselves. They're happy people, the two of them. On they're chill days they go into they're favorite teacher's room and play harmonica, getting laughs out of they're friends at the fact that they carry around harmonicas. They are, by definition, artists, but I think the word artist can seem vague; especially with what some people consider art now a days. I seem them as creative minds. I look and I see two people in a whole different world, like they're connected to the rest of us, but they refuse to acknowledge it, because it would just irritate them and they're drawings, photos, music, and.. peaceful states of mind. They're the kind of people who like to be around free thinkers, not trend followers and kiss-asses. They themselves are free thinkers. They are by definition, artists... but in my minds eye they are a splash of color in a world that wants to be grey.

Thank you to Johann Rucker, Nick Conner, and Ivan (the photographer) for letting me use this picture. I've had writers block for a while and the picture inspired me greatly. Anyone reading this should check out their band Werewolf Weekdays! They're pretty good! Thank you again boys, and thank you to anyone reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment