Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Aftermath: Chapter 4: (first person- girl)

I can feel Leeland's eyes on the back of my head; like an icy burn. I make the necessary twists and turns in order to get to the kitchen I spied when I dragged Leeland into the sit room earlier. "What's for dinner?" I ask him as we enter. I turn to see him in the doorway, with a pained look on his face. My heart gives a tiny squeeze. "Why hasn't your knee been fixed yet?" The question was supposed to sound stern, but it came out a little lamely... like a whisper. He had been so worried about me,  and he was injured badly. God I could be a bitch. "It's nothing," he said. I watched him struggle to a chair and decided to leave him alone. I was already becoming familiar with these surroundings and people, and it was suffocating me. "So?" I ask, "What are we eating?" He looks at me like I'm retarded an answers, "food," then bursts out laughing like it was the funniest thing in the world. I look at him stumped at what to reply with, and slowly decide to just let him have his fun. He reminds me of my brother at times. I see the humor I've been aching for ever since Micheal had Changed. I see the spirit, the personality, the pure joy of being alive. In that small moment I realized there was no way I could turn back now. I finally had the chance to settle down in one place, instead of traveling everyday avoiding my brother and the other foul creatures of this ruin. I finally had a second chance, but would it be worth at the end of all this? "Hey!" I jumped as Leeland raised his voice. I hadn't realized that he had been calling me. "You know what?" he said thoughtfully, "you need some sort of code name..." I laughed at the idea. "You want to give me a nickname?" I asked, humored. "Yeah, you won't tell me your real name so I guess I'll just have to give you one," he smiled at me in thought. "How about 'Red'?" he asked. "No," I said with a giggle, "definitely not." He laughed and I froze. His laugh was like an icy fire, in a way. I cursed myself, "I can't do this," I said it quietly, but it made his laughter fall away. " Do what? Talk?" He asked. It was just a question, but it ignited my already thinnerves. "No," I snapped, "this!" I practically shouted it as I pushed him away. He stumbled and over my rage, I noticed how surprised he looked. Had he not realized that just a moment ago he had been inches away from my face? The hurt on his face was like an icicle to the throat. My words dried up, and I averted my eyes from his. "You know what I'm going to call you?" I didn't answer him. I was to scared to hear the answer. "Ignis," I looked up at him, confused. "What?" I shouldn't have asked though. "It means 'fire' in Latin," he elaborated, "I think it's suitable, considering so far you've burned everything around you." With that he turned and limped out of the kitchen. I looked at the ground horrified and embarrassed at the truth and harshness of his words. I sat down and let my tears fall heavy. It has been so long since I let myself cry... so long...

No comments:

Post a Comment