Saturday, May 5, 2012

Aftermath: Chapter 2 (first person-Leeland)

Her laughter rings around me like an echo of warming flames. It makes me think that she hasn't had a reason to laugh in a really long time. Who would? I look at her with awe as she clutches her stomach while she tries to quiet her continuous giggles. I can't help it, but I start to laugh too. The sight of her is hilarious. I'm on my back, and she's face down next to me, she's also on my arm. I'm laughing because of her, but I think she's laughing just to laugh. Her face is like a fire on a cold night. I feel like I need her even tough I don't really know her. Her eyes are golden brown, and shes tall and thin, but I can see her thin, capable muscles. She's tanned from her travels, and her smile stretches from ear to ear framed by her full lips. My thoughts are cut short when I hear footsteps coming from the door on my other side. I put my hand over her mouth. Her giggles soften, then she sobers all together when she hears them too. She nods silently and gets up to help me to my feet. I grimace as my head throbs and my knee ignites. She frowns and pulls most of my weight onto my other leg and her. The footsteps grow louder and I feel my stomach somewhere around my ankles. Those footsteps are unmistakable. Step clack Step clack Step clack... My mind is going a million miles a minute. Why of all people, would they send my brother. Why me, I swear they hate me and I silently curse them as keys jingle and locks slide. The small window on the door opens and I see a pair of wary hazel eyes that confirm my theory. "Name," he says in a monotone voice. "God damn it, Rubin, open the door," I snap. He rolls his eyes and looks at the girl. "Who's that?" he asks suspiciously, " A friend, now open the door." I bark it at him, he's making my low tolerance for his stupidity even thinner. He grunts and closes the window. We hear more clanks and jingles, then the door creaks open on its rusty hinges. She looks up at me, I notice the hard look in her eyes and nod. She clears her throat and helps me through the door, which closes with a loud clang behind us. " Tell her how to get to the sit room while I lock up," his irritating voice makes my skull pound even worse, but I nod and motion for her to keep walking forward. She nods and goes on. "Just keep forward and you'll see two different hallways, keep left," I say it tightly and she seems to notice somethings wrong. "You don't like that man back there do you?" She asks curiously. I grunt, " who is he?" she continues. "My brother," I mumble, "You're right I don't like him. He thinks he's my father, and he couldn't be anything near that to me." She makes the left and smiles, " I used to have a brother," her gaze seems far away, " actually I still do, it's just he's been bitten." I look at her and will her to continue, considering this is the first real bit of information on her past she has given me. " His name is Micheal. He used to be everything I looked up to until he started getting high on the bites. It was just me and him, and finally two months ago, he gave in and took the change. He's still looking for me I know it, but I'd rather not see him. If I do I'll have to kill him." She finishes her story with a bitter tone, and I look down to see tears in her eyes. She blinks them away and keeps on moving until we reach the sit room. She gets me settled then she takes a seat, and we wait in silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment