Thursday, April 26, 2012

Aftermath: Chapter 1 (first person-girl)

I breath in the scent of him as we walk. Well as he limps and I carry. He smells of sweat and sun, but there is this smell of something I can't put my finger on. It's a pure smell, like ice cooling you on a hot day. It burns my nostrils as the ice would burn the skin, but I can't get enough of it. He's panting with pain, and I can see the blood seeping into his pants from the apparently open wound on his knee. The gash on his forehead has stopped gushing, but is now trickling quietly down his scrunched up face. He's gorgeous. For one of them anyways. You can tell he's a hunter by the way he walks. It's predatory, and it draws you in; along with his perfectly shaped face, full lips and icy eyes that could freeze you in your tracks then melt you with their beauty. "Left on this next road," he says drowsily I nod and take more of his weight. He's heavy for being thin. I can tell it's from the muscle, but still, this kid is killin' me. "My name is Leeland by the way," He mentions as we make the turn, "and what did you say yours was?" I slow, but don't stop as his statement throws me off guard. "I didn't," I say steadily. "Fiery," he says with humored tone, laced thick with pain. "Me likey," he finishes with a wink. I swallow hard and feel my cheeks grow hot. I hope he thinks it's because of the heat. I just hope I can drop him off where he needs to go, so I won't get involved. Deep in my mind I know that is definitely not going to be the case, but I shrug that thought off mentally, and keep trudging. "Keep going you'll see an old restaurant sign, I think it says Denny's but I'm not sure." He sounds droopy so I quickly think of something to keep him talking. "So where are you from?" I burped out, "Where was I from," he stated, "there's nothing there anymore, but it used to be called Chicago, Illinois; that's what the map at Quarters says anyways." I smile and nod, " yeah, I've heard of it, I think I've traveled there once. A very long time ago..." I trail off at a tugging memory, but Leeland cuts through my buttery thoughts, "What about you? Or will you keep that a secret too?" He teases, then chuckles as  I tense up under him, "I was kidding, well kinda, I still would like to know where you're from at least." I hear the smile in his words. I sigh, " I'm from a place they used to call Canada. Toronto to be specific." He grunts as if he is thinking hard, " I don't think I've seen that on the map," he frowns, "I'll have to take a closer look when we get there." I grunt, and ask, " what now?" He snaps back into focus and says, "we're almost there. You're going to see an alleyway door, kick it in and walk forward until you see another metal door and just wait." "Okay, I'm on it," I huff. We make it to the door which I manage to kick in after three tries, and walk for a bit until we see the second door. I can't take it anymore. I try to gently move him to sit on the floor, but my knees give out, and we take a tumble. I'm on top of his arm face down, and he is somehow facing the deteriorating ceiling. I look over at him and burst into laughter. I laugh so hard tears spring to my eyes, my stomach starts to hurt and I can't breath. I haven't laughed like this since I was a little girl. It feels good, so good...

No comments:

Post a Comment